A practical, sometimes skeptical Witch based in Toronto, Canada.

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Green Wiccan Herbal and Taking Chances

I was on Bloor Street West and I went to my favourite Chapters Book store. This store is a little bit different because they took over an old theatre, left the flow of the building and turned it into a bookstore. For example, you have to walk onto the stage to access the magazine section. It's really a lovely design. I had been there a few months ago and found the book The Green Wiccan Herbal by Silja and didn't want to impulse buy, so thought I would pick it up later at a different store if I still wanted it. Well, it turns out, I never saw it again . . . until today. What a wonderful book for someone who is not familiar with a lot of herbal remedies and magick that involves herbs. It's not a large book but it gives the essentials of 52 different herbs and a few different things like cucumbers and lemons. It is concise it a way that is informative and you could look up more if you had to. For example, apparently you can rub lemon on vericose veins! The book is beautifully illustrated and has a few chapters that give information about turning herbs into incense or lotions. I think this will be a "go to" book for quite some time.

I'm taking some chances with my creative work. Don't want to say too much about what I do as a side job but I will tell you that it is creative. I feel that it is my job as an artist to take chances and push society forward and so I'm creating my first work based on my beliefs in Wicca. I'm a little nervous about how it will be perceived. I'm scared a closed-minded Christian might see the proposal and get freaked out. I feel that I need to take this chance and create a work that is true to myself . . . not that my previous works hadn't been . . . but I could code them in frameworks that society might accept more easily (i.e., Christianity). This time, I'm going all out. Let's see how it goes!



2 comments:

  1. Oh wow I grew up near that theatre, before it was renovated back into a threatre! I think it was a bingo hall when I was a kid... new to your blog, just reading trough a bit. As a child I'd hang out in the Humber River ravine looking for magic in the city. Not a good place for a child to hang out in but it was my own piece of nature. Lois

    ReplyDelete