A practical, sometimes skeptical Witch based in Toronto, Canada.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Vegetarianism and Energy

I have been a vegetarian since I was 16. As soon as my parents would agree to it, I stopped eating meat. This was for several reasons. The first and most important is that I hated the idea of eating animal flesh. I did not like the idea of animals suffering so that they could become my food. Now, I'm realistic about this and I realize that some cultures and civilizations need meat to survive . . . so, in some ways I'm not like those militant animal rights people. In fact, I appreciate that some Aboriginal groups give thanks to the animal for giving its life for their sustenance and then are sure to use the whole animal. What I am not okay with is people mass producing animals in horrible conditions and torturing them for their gain. All around it is harmful . . . even for the planet.

One of the other reasons that I gave up meat was that if animals are put through this torture, what kind of energy are they giving off? If they give off negative energy, am I putting that into my body? Do I want to consume an animal that has been made to suffer psychologically, scared to death and then slaughtered? As I've said in previous posts, I am very sensitive to energy and I believe that those energy signatures are left in the meat. Why wouldn't it be? It would explain the many problems that people have with depression, anxiety, fear, and a multitude of other conditions that seem to plague this mass produced society.

The first time I have every really heard anyone talk about energy as it pertains to meat was today when I watched this interview with Ellen Degeneres. In fact, she mentions energy a few times in this interview and talks about how she feels it. It would make sense that she senses it clearly because she is a very successful and empathetic entertainer and interviewer. I have always enjoyed her work but now I have a deeper respect for her. The interview is about 30 minutes long but it is very insightful.

1 comment:

  1. Ah the meat/veggies conundrum, not an easy topic to discuss, is it? I'm an eclectic eater who respects every one else's choice of sustenance. I have a good friend who is a vegan and we get into deep discussions over the issue. He is not mean or anything, but is always quick to point out that I should feel bad about how much the animals suffer. I feel natural to be honest. I don't overeat or waste food of any kind. I give thanks for everything I kill to eat--meat or plant.

    He tells me that it is not the same, that "plants don't feel". You can see where I'm going with this, right? I'm sure you do, so I'm going to stop. It is a difficult topic indeed...

    I love Ellen too, the woman is amazing!

    ReplyDelete